Do You Have Angst?: My life should have a soundtrack (part two)

Monday, March 5, 2012

My life should have a soundtrack (part two)

I've already gotten some awesome new suggestions, but I'm going to continue with my list of soundtracks I find inspiring just to see if it musters up any more great ideas!


11 Halo: Combat Evolved - Martin O’Donnell/Michael Salvatori:  Track 15: Rock Anthem for Saving the World – I’m pretty sure this would be the first song in my own personal soundtrack.  I get to wear a cape while listening to this, right?

12 Symphony No. 7 Allegreto Ludwig van Beethoven:  Even if you don’t listen to a lot of classical music, you may recognize this piece.  It has been used in several movies.  Great to listen to for those scenes I write that include a twist.


13 Batman Begins & The Dark Knight & Inception - HansZimmer and James Newton Howard:  This may sound a little goofy but wow what great angry and dark music.  It’s an understatement to say I’m emotionally invested in my books, and it is key to stay in the mood.  Hans Zimmer gets me there.

14 BraveheartJames Horner:  The man does everything right, and Braveheart is part of that.  Want something inspirational, here it is.  Listen to this and you will write something amazing like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

15 Highlander: The Original ScoresMichael Kamen, J. Peter Robinson, Stewart Copeland:  It took me part of for-ev-er to find the original score to the first Highlander movie.  While I will always believe that the second movie should be erased from time and burned from the memory of everyone who has ever seen it – the score for the first movie was pretty damn good.  (The soundtrack by Queen was damn fine too!)




17 Thor Patrick Doyle:  No offense to Mr Doyle, this soundtrack is not life changing, but it’s good, really good.  It’s also plenty fantasy-oriented and I enjoy listening to it while writing that stuff.  Even though I don't listen to it as much, his score for Henry V is amazing, especially during the speech by Kenneth Branagh. (Also used in the Braveheart link above)

18 Forrest Gump: Original Motion Picture ScoreAlanSilvestri:  This is my backup-backup to Bicentennial Man and Meet Joe Black.  An amazing score.   Listen, Forrest, listen.

19 Star Trek VI Cliff Eidelman:  Star Trek 2 is my favorite Trek movie, Trek 6 is my second favorite.  Clever and thoughtful, I really enjoyed it.  I also really liked that they went with a different composer because Eidelman brought a haunting score that fits this movie well.

20 Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - Shirley Walker:  No, really, this score is awesome!  Don’t discount it because it is a Batman cartoon, I saw this film in the theater and fell in love with the score.  Dark, ominous and fun movie, great music. 


There is more, plenty more, but these are my favorites of favorites.  Thanks for reading, and let me know what I'm missing!

No comments:

Post a Comment