Sunday, November 25, 2012
So…I may have written two books by accident. Funny story, really. I was about 120,000 words into the sequel with the realization that to fit everything I want into Buried in Angst I would need to add at least another 60,000 words! (In perspective, Angst is roughly 125,000 words.) That's not unheard of. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is 175,000ish, so it could work. The problem is that the story felt squished, like I was trying to fit in too much. I had promised myself more character development, and more details about events from Angst that readers had asked about - and those things were getting set aside for more story story story.
I was speaking with a friend who made the obvious suggestion that maybe these were actually two different books. It took awhile for that to sink in because I was so locked into how the 2nd book ends that I just couldn't see past that to split the book in half. After sitting on this idea for several weeks, it finally hit me that she was right.
I've been so determined to make Angst 2 better and bigger and more than the first, that I lost sight of some things that are important to me about my writing. It's my goal to make my novels fun, compelling with a few twists and surprises, while keeping the story an easy read. Trying to throw in too much was taking away from this.
This means (!!!!!!) that I'm almost done with the rough draft for book 2. I'm in the process of reworking a few things, but after some brainstorming I'm happier than ever with how the book is going to wrap up. (I gave my wife a hint of the ending, and it literally gave her goosebumps. Mwa ha ha.) I'm also excited to share that I'm also about 1/3rd done with book 3 already! Pretty sure this is the best oops I've made since my son (just kidding).
Since this revelation I've been sharing chapters with my alpha team almost every week, and the feedback has been all positive! Over the next two months I'll be announcing the completion of each milestone, alpha, beta, edits, and release date. Unless I am slapped upside the head by another epiphany (please no) Buried in Angst will be 64 chapters (of awesome fun). The alpha team has all chapters through 45, and of the 19 remaining only 5 need to be written. If the universe doesn't hate me too much the rough draft will be done before the end of the year.
Once I flesh things out per their suggestions I'll then share with the beta team. The beta team gets a full manuscript, and often has a different perspective than the alpha team. I'll make further changes based on their recommendations before a final edit and release. While that seems like a lot, Angst 2 is now closer than ever!